Thursday, January 3, 2013

Recipe: Upside Down Mango Cake


I'm feeling a bit disappointed in myself. I don't know how it's even possible but I've physically gained quite a bit of weight over the short Christmas and New Year period. Yes, you can eat a lot, but usually it's gone the next day. For me, the bloatedness just stayed with me and now I possess an embarrassing belly. It juts out awkwardly! I'm trying to do some more exercise so hopefully this tub will go away.

I did some baking over the holidays. I spent some time with my partner's family. He has a 2 year-old nephew and we baked banana bread together and it was bloody awesome. I went home, keen on baking some more banana bread but we had no bananas. Instead, we had loads of mangoes so an idea was formed.

I give you...


Upside down mango cake

Adapted from this banana cake recipe

Ingredients:
1 large mango or 2 smaller ones
175g of butter
3/4 cups of sugar
1 tbsp of brown sugar
1.5 cups of self raising flour
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 egg
1/4 cup of milk


Method:
1. Preheat Oven to 170C
2. Peel the skin off the mango and slice mango in half. Slice one half of the mango into neat slices and set aside. Mash the other half of the mango in a large bowl.
3. Melt 50g of butter in the microwave. Pour melted butter into a cake tin. Sprinkle in the brown sugar and arrange mango slices in some kind of pattern of your choosing and set aside.
4. Melt the remaining butter, sugar and vanilla extract in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl or pyrex jug.
5. Add butter mixture, flour and milk to the mashed mango. Stir until incorporated.
6. Spray the cake tin with some canola spray and pour in the mixture
7. Put it in the oven for 40 -50, or until ready. Insert a skewer into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, then it is ready.
8. Once the cake is ready, take it out of the oven. Cool for a little bit then flip it onto a plate.
9. Gently remove the cake tin and voila, it’s an upside down mango cake. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream



Apologies for the crappy photos! I find cakes rather difficult to photograph because some are rather flat. This cake turned out really delicious. You can make all kinds of variations with apple or pineapple.

No comments:

Post a Comment