Wednesday, January 2, 2013

First blog post about my script

I posted a rather effective image on my work’s facebook page this afternoon. It was one of those inspirational images/posters, but not a lame and cheesy one that’s doing the facebook circuit.



I got this image off the website Creative Something. I find it useful because I’m always making excuses for not doing creative activities and this year I want to stop making excuses and start doing them.

So today I’m going to be a bit fearless. I’m going to write my first blog post about a script I’m working on. I think reflecting on the process will help clear my head a bit and aid in productivity.

The script has no title yet, but I call it The Roof because it sort of takes place on a roof. It’s still going through some rewrites, but it’s got potential. It’s a modest film about how a child watches her family go through grief. I think it’s sentimental without being sappy and it doesn’t try to solve anything. I’m at the stage where I might need a producer, but I’m not sure how I go about finding one. I certainly know a few producers but I don’t know if they’d be interested or if they’re even the right producer for it. I guess I should ask, but if anyone knows what the protocol is or has tips on finding a producer please leave a comment or send an email to choux.street[at]gmail[dot]com. I think I’m ready to start location scouting and holding auditions. I want to get this film to production stage by the end of the month.

I’ve shared my script with some close friends and they’ve given me some great feedback. I hope to get together with them again after my rewrites. I guess I should also ponder the whole “directing” aspect of the production. I’ve never directed anything, and frankly, I don’t think I’ve worked with any great directors so I don’t know what to model my practice on. Most of them seem to just wing it. I see directing as a very... unmethodical practice. I’m so used to editing and filming, which is more regimented than directing, but I might be completely wrong.

My homework for this week:

- Do a few more rewrites
- Approach some producers who might be able to help me produce it
- Watch films that explore brother-sister relationships and father-children relationships, like Grave of the Fireflies and Little Miss Sunshine. If you have any suggestions, please let me know of them.
- Start paying more attention to housing

No comments:

Post a Comment