Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Mwah



So... kissing. What's the fuss all about? Every generic romantic comedy is really leading up to a lip locking event – Lips touching, tongues dancing inside each other's mouths, then some groping and maybe a bit of sex (but being a generic romcom, we don't get to see the sex). It's such an odd concept when you detach yourself from it. Why is the touch of another person's lips upon yours a really big deal? I mean, I'm not saying that it isn't for me, because it is, but I'm just interested in why it is such a big deal for me sometimes.

I think movies have really contributed to this, but they also present a really simplistic view of the role kissing plays within our interactions with people. I mean, in all these romcoms, making out seems to be the signal for "HEY! LET'S GO OUT!". And that's really not the case in real life as that's not really how it works. It's so much more complicated than that and yet films have simplified it to mean that two parties are going to date exclusively or something like that.

Wikipedia says that kissing seemed to have originated in certain areas, for example Greece, Syria and India were way ahead with kissing, while the act of kissing in Japan and Africa seemed to only exist between a mother and her baby. It's interesting because kissing is like projecting feelings of "love" and wanting to be close to someone or acting out your attraction for someone. the kiss between mother and her baby is exactly just a projection of love. But how do we even know that kissing is meant to represent that? How do we know to kiss?

Sometimes you just want to kiss your boyfriend/girlfriend. But how do we know to kiss? Why has lip locking been the action to signify all of that love, passion and affection? Why do we want to be kissed? It's so puzzling and obvious at the same time.

What was your first kiss like?


Mine was when I was seven. It shouldn't even count because I was seven. I don't remember very much as I pretty much blocked a lot of my childhood from my mind. All I remember was it wasn't good or bad. It just was. Yeah.

Anyway, to end this awkward conversation:

No comments:

Post a Comment