Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Day 1: Your Favourite Song

No one has ONE favourite song. How can anyone choose? What defines "favourite"? Is it something that you can listen to on repeat for ages, or a song that makes you want to sing at the top of your lungs every time you hear it anywhere? There are some songs that fit into one category, but not the other. Then there are songs that fit in both, but you're just not quite ready to call it your "favourite". I've had a good think about this, and I believe this is probably my favourite song (ever):



I first heard this beautiful song when I was 17. I was in literature class and we were doing film studies, comparing The Purple Rose of Cairo (Must watch if you haven't seen it) and Pleasantville. The Purple Rose of Cairo opened with Fred Astaire's dainty vocals and cheerful violins, making me feel nostalgic for the 20s, even though I didn't live it. It was wonderful, and while I also love Frank Sinatra's version of this song, it doesn't compare to Fred Astaire's original. The original is delicate, subtle, charming and a bit flirtatious. It's like being wooed (but in a classy way) by Alan Rickman in a 1920s New York setting, whatever that feels like. Or just being asked to dance. Frank Sinatra's version, while enjoyable, feels a bit too Las Vegas to me. What do you think?



What is your favourite song?

No comments:

Post a Comment