Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day 2: Your least favourite song

Yes. I know. It's been ages since my Day 1 post, which means I've failed this challenge. I'm gonna keep at it regardless because I'm crazy like that. Watch out, interwebs.

Choosing my least favourite song is just as hard as choosing my favourite song. What I've tried to do is separate my contempt for certain "musicians" (re: the Justin Bieber and Rebecca Black cohort), because that does affect my judgement on songs. I didn't like Avril Lavigne in high school because I thought she was a try hard, and that affected my judgement on her songs. In other words, I hated the songs because I hated the artist.

Not this time.



I fucking hate this song. I don't hate Guy Sebastian, but this song is enough to make me hate him. But I don't want to. I think Guy is cool. I'm pretty sure I was rooting for him during the first season of Australian Idol. He can sing, and he can write music. Normally, when I don't like a song, I don't listen to it. Too easy. But sadly, when you work in retail, you have to. Over and over again.

I don't even have the capacity to satisfactorily describe what is wrong with this song. The chorus? Who can't write that? The most un-musical person in the world could write a better chorus than this song. My diary from when I was 13 has better prose than this whole song.

I SHOULDN'T EVEN KNOW THE WORDS TO THIS SONG!

But I do. And I hate myself for it. But not as much as I hate this song.

And what is with Australian singers getting rappers in their songs? You're not gonna crack into the US market just because you've paid thousands to have Eve or in Jessica Mauboy's case, Snoop Dogg, in your song for a few bars. What happened to good music? Both Guy and Jessica possess the ability to "make it" in the US without these vapid songs. I wish they'd realise that, or at least, their record label does.

To reiterate, this song is crap. It shouldn't be a measure of what Guy Sebastian is capable of, because I genuinely think he's got what it takes to write actual good pop music. but who knows what is going on behind the scenes with his record company and manager.

What is your least favourite song?

No comments:

Post a Comment