Sunday, December 9, 2012

My weirdly positive outlook on the upcoming week

 I think these few weeks will be interesting, and a little exciting.

Mum left for China yesterday and she'll be there for about two months. She will be undergoing urgent surgery and she'll have two months to recover from it. I hope everything goes smoothly. I really want to send my dad to China to be with her but we'll just have to see what his work schedule is like. I'm more than happy to pay for the airfare. It would be nice.

Anyway, it's up to me to fulfill her domestic roles, but on Thursday I'll be house sitting! It will be interesting to see how my brother and father cope without someone cooking for them. Actually, my dad can cope just fine; it's mostly my brother I'm concerned about. The extent of his cooking skills is limited to boiling frankfurters and making instant noodles over the stove. I got him a book full of really easy recipes to ease into this period. I hope he uses it!

Anyway, I am super excited about house sitting:

- I get to experience what it's like to live alone. I went to Sydney in June and lived by myself for a week without internet or TV and it drove me crazy. There were days where I just sat on the couch wanting to get out of the house but unable to muster the energy to do anything. I'd skip meals because it was too much hassle to look for food (the kitchen didn't have any cooking utensils for me to make meals at home). This time around I'll have TV and wifi, plus I know the area so I'm looking forward to it. I think what went wrong in Sydney (aside from the "no tv and wifi" drama) was I didn't know anyone and there was no real opportunity for me to meet anyone.

- Cats. I am a dog person but that doesn't mean I have an arbitrary disdain for felines. I think cats are cool too; you just can't make them love you through enthusiasm. The person I'm house sitting for has two cats. One of them is a british blue cat (think the "I has cheeseburger" cat). I met him today and he's this gorgeous fat cat who is terrified of people so he hides under beds. He's the biggest scaredy cat! How cute is that? There's also another cat that has a pointier face who I like to think of as a fierce independent female. She marches about the house because she owns the joint and starts fights with the other cats. She don't need no loving but you gotta earn her love. Yeah.

- I get to sleep in during the week. I'll be so much closer to work, which means no more leaving the house at 7:45am just to get to work by 9am. This means I will come to work in a calmer frame of mind because I'm not freaking out about leaving the house too late.

All in all, I hope this whole experience just helps me feel better as a person and as a "creative". I'd really like to do heaps more writing (my problem is I don't know what to write about), start pre-production with my script and fiddle with stop motion. I read a blog post on The Accidental Creative about how it's really good for us to "create" unnecessarily. I think that's really interesting. For me, creating is easier when I'm restricted, but then again, this is a really good way to hone your skills. Anyway, I think I just need a change of scenery and I feel really positive about this! I thought my TV ban would help me focus better, but it didn't really. I just went to bed before 12am, which does count for something.

I've also started doing exercise this week. I went for a run on Monday. Not for very long though because I haven't exercised since I started working full time. It was really hard trying to run Monday, Wednesday and Fridays because it's so hard to wake up in the mornings. I didn't end up doing it on Wednesday and Friday. However, I went for a run yesterday and today and that went quite well, so I'm going to make it Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I just hope it's sustainable! I'd ideally like to go for a run in the mornings, do some writing and then go to work, but one step at a time!

Anyway, enough from me. Hope everyone has a great week!

2 comments:

  1. my thoughts are with your mum shoesh!!!
    i hope it all goes well

    i am glad you're staying positive, there are lots of exciting other things happening for you! i think being a bit closer into town will defs help you get more creative... although it's easy to get distracted by all the lovely things that are closer to you.. like MEEEEEEE!!! but we can have hangs where we make stuff.. for eg i need to finish making my xmas cards and SEND THEM
    ugh, christmas is so soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie. Yeah come over to "mine" and make xmas cards. we can bake scones and you can meet the cats! They are so beautiful!

      Delete