Thursday, January 5, 2012

WAKE UP MR. WEST!

I'm not going to lie: I'm going through a massive Kanye West phase. I don't go through phases half-heartedly, as Susie pointed out to me once. Once I'm hooked, I'm there for WEEKS/MONTHS. I'm one of those people who can listen to one song on repeat for several days/weeks/months.

My top three most listened to songs on iTunes are:



Feel it in my Bones by Tiesto ft. Tegan and Sara (352 plays)



Tommorow by Sean Lennon (273 plays)



On Directing by Tegan and Sara (252 plays).

I don't know if that's a lot or whatever – maybe you've listened to one song more than 352 times – but I think it's quite a bit.

My Kanye West phase is only very recent. I had the urge to crank up some Kanye one night and Gold Digger has always been my favourite song of his because of Jamie Foxx's sweet, sweet vocals being repeated throughout the song. I actually thought it was some big heavy jazz musician (who probably plays the saxophone) singing those bits until I saw the video. I've already trawled YouTube for live performances of Gold Digger. I prefer the performances with Jamie Foxx. What a babe that man is.

I actually don't like the official video very much. I rarely like rap videos because of their unnecessary use of beautiful gyrating women in their underwear. This was no different, and you couldn't see Kanye rapping at all. Despite the somewhat sexist lyrics, Gold Digger is just genius. It makes me want to krump like a boss and pretend I have the co-ordination of Usher (which is what I aim for when "dancing" in public).



I really want to write a serious review of all his albums but I don't know how to start it. I also feel like I'm not worthy of reviewing his musical genius since I'm not a rap aficionado. In fact, I don't really know what he's rapping about. I think when I listen to Kanye's music, it's like I tune out the weight/depth of the lyrics and just appreciate them as an instrument. I don't even know how to explain this.

What music is everyone else listening to these days? Who are you super into right now?

10 comments:

  1. there's one at melbourne central, on the floor of the cinemas near the latrobe st escalators :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this might help you get started lol http://thoughtcatalog.com/2010/kanye-west-my-beautiful-dark-twisted-fantasy-review-analysis/

    thought catalog does those extensive reviews a lot, you could just take it track by track though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Hard to be humble when you stuntin’ on a jumbotron"

    Gonna get this EP! I think track by track is the way to go for now I certainly don't feel confident writing something as big as that, especially when I'm going through a phase.

    Thanks susie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't actually listen to his songs much...my favourite song at the moment and favourite music video is LMFAO's sexy and I know it :D don't know why but the song makes me feel so happy and I want to dance to it :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of that LMFAO song. I've only heard champagne showers and i hated that :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post!
    Gold Digger is one of my favourite songs. It's just one of those songs that plays and you automatically wanna get up and rap it all, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those songs :)
    http://xtheperfectmess.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  8. You serious you haven't heard it? You're missing out! I love the music video...it's totally my favourite. :P I'm usually more into mellow love songs that I can sing to but I'm Sexy and I Know It is just too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Generally, I like Kanye's stuff but I only really listen to his stuff sort of casually, when it's on the radio.

    ReplyDelete