Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Bubbles

I'm trying to get back to my old sleeping patterns. Ever since I got back from overseas, I pass out before 11pm and wake up around 6am. This current sleeping arrangement is actually more productive than my old "sleep at 2am, wake up at 6am, snooze till 7am" thing. It's just really different and I don't bode well with change, regardless of how miniscule it is.

Being on a plane for a total for 2.5 days means that I've seen A LOT of films. I wouldn't normally watch that many because I get depressed, but when you're on a plane, what else can you do? So here is the list of films I saw on the plane, including a mini review. Go!

- Midnight in Paris: I was reluctant to see this one because the plot sounded a little "eh" but when I found out that Adrien Brody was in it, I couldn't not see it (yes, that is how I make my movie-watching decisions. I'm so shallow). It turned out to be quite good, and probably really fitting with my current disillusioned state. It's basically about this guy called Gil who is having trouble writing and trouble showing people his writing. He's in Paris with his fiancé, who hates it there, but he's mesmerized and in love with the city. He goes on these little walks at midnight and some awesome adventures ensue. It's a nice film, makes me think about how similar I can be to Gil.

- The Help: I saw this because I thought Ryan Gosling was in it. I remember Emma Stone was in a film where she gets to make out with Ryan Gosling so I thought this was the film. He wasn't in the film, but the film is amazing. Set in the 60s, it's about this young woman named Skeeter who is writing a book about the help in a Mississippi, who have to raise white children while their own children are stuck at home. There's a lot of racial tension between the rich white women and their maids, and Bryce Dallas Howard is amazing in it as the bigoted Hilly Hollbrook. It's funny and moving (spurs a range of emotions within you). Also, anyone else think Emma Stone and Chris Colfer look similar, like brother and sister similar?

- Monte Carlo: This is one of those Disney life swap films starring the latest tween hottie and in this case it is Selena Gomez, paired with Katie Cassidy and Leighton Meester (Gossip Girl reunion). It's not a very good film, but Selena Gomez does all right donning a posh British accent. It seems like one of those films either made for TV or should go straight to DVD.

- Friends with Benefits: This one was enjoyable, probably because Justin Timberlake is just so damn fine. But that was not why I watched it. I wanted something light after watching 'The Help' so I watched this. It's entertaining and Justin Timberlake is a pretty decent actor. It's about two friends who decide to have sex, no strings attached, and they end up falling for each other. I didn't catch the end of the film because I had to get off the plane so if anyone wants to spoil the ending for me, please do.

- Horrible Bosses: Again, goofy comedy to take my mind off things. It is actually really good. I really enjoyed this one. I suppose it's kind of like Superbad, except it's not really about getting laid before college. Basically, three friends are really sick of how badly their bosses treat them so they decide to kill their bosses. Except things obviously don't go as planned and it is goddamn HILARIOUS. Also Jennifer Aniston is in it and she's brilliant. I've never seen her as a non-Rachel before, so I enjoyed her performance.

- Scream 4: I was thinking "Was filming this film weird for Courtney Cox and David Arquette?" the whole time I was watching this. Although, they've been divorced for a couple of years so maybe they're just good friends now. Anyway, it was VERY Wes Craven and very much like all the Screams. It starred a very husky Hayden Panettiere and Emma Roberts, who I adore. I thought Emma Roberts was ace in it. It also had Lucy Hale (Pretty Little Liars), Shenae Grimes (Degrassi!), Anna Paquin and Kristen Bell, but they were only in it for like 5 seconds. It's not the best horror film I've ever seen. I still think the first Scream was the best one. I think it should be watched with the other three Screams at a slumber party or something. Also, anyone know what Neve Campbell has been up to? She was like the darling of the mid to late 90s.

- Bridesmaids: I was expecting this to be heaps funnier than what it was, which is my fault. I had one of those epiphany moments watching this one. I realised that I can be exactly like Annie when things are bad. I end up feeling sorry for myself and pitying myself which isn't productive. I think I should watch this film every time I have one of my "moods". Other than that, it is a very good film. Kristin Wiig and Chris O'Dowd are in it so that's a win. Plus I think everyone can relate to what Annie is going through since we all have friends who we grow apart from.

- The Hangover II: I didn't know what to expect with this one but it was very entertaining. I haven't seen the first one and I've been told that I should see the sequel as a film on its own, rather than a sequel. Everything made sense, and was funny. Zach Galifianakis is adorable and hilarious and everyone loves the psychosis that comes bottled in one of Ken Jeong's alter egos.

I also saw X Men: First Class and Transformers 3. Everyone probably knows how I feel about XM3 (what's not to love about James McAvoy?). I saw Transformers 3 in cinemas the day I got back from Thailand so I fell asleep half way through the film. I tried to watch it again on the plane but I feel asleep again so that might actually say something about the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment