Monday, December 13, 2010

Inception Review/Spoiler/Pervefest

I watched 'Inception' last night for the second time. I think when I saw it for the first time I just thought it was amazing. Probably because to have someone even think of a story line such as that is incredible on its own (but the my partner showed me this poem by Edgar Allen Poe that I believe could have been Christopher Nolan's inspiration for the film). Actually, I think I remember reading an interview with Ken Watanabe where he said he actually didn't think much of the script, but signed on to act in it because he trusted Nolan, probably because he's already worked with Nolan in 'Batman Begins'. I think. This may or may not be true. Maybe I'm confusing some kind of dream with reality. Maybe I read this interview in a dream. But I doubt it. I'm pretty sure Watanabe didn't like the script, or at least, it wasn't well written enough. OK, now I feel compelled to find this interview to prove I'm not insane.

OK. So I've found an interview with both Ken Watanabe and Cillian Murphy (with gorgeous pictures of both actors). They both admit that the script was really difficult to understand and that they trusted Nolan because he's such a visual person.

Actually, speaking of Watanabe and Murphy, I want to say that both actors are amazing. They are just the few most talented actors ever and I thought the roles they played in the film did not do their talent any justice. It's like watching Daniel Craig in 'The Jacket' and then watching him in 'Quantum of Solace'. If you watched 'Quantum of Solace' first, you wouldn't even know how brilliant Craig is as an actor. That's how I feel about Watanabe and Murphy's roles in 'Inception'. Sure they were necessary characters, but aren't really good characters. However, when I think about the other characters in the film, I don't think they were all that complex. I think with a film like 'Inception' you can't have your characters be so complex because the plot is so complex on its own. You just need to make sure they are plausible characters, and I think all of them are.

The story line is pretty sick. I mean, sure it takes AGES to get into the actual inception, but the start of the film is completely necessary. First of all, while Ariadne is training and learning the ropes of extraction (P to the S, how do you pronounce Ariadne?), it's really us learning how their job works. Ariadne sort of is the link between us as the view and the rest of the team in the film: while she's learning, we learn with her. She's curious about Cobb's past and so are we: Arthur and Eames know their boundaries with him, but not Ariadne so we really need her to ask all the questions we want to know. We're the only ones that know Cobb is having trouble suppressing his memory of Mal. Plus, who doesn't love Ellen Page (please don't comment saying YOU don't like Ellen Page). I still prefer her in 'Juno' and 'Whip It' but that's probably because I really love 'Whip It' and Drew Barrymore.

One thing that doesn't make sense to me is that Saito is meant to have hired Cobb and co as a tester to see how good they are are what they do, and while they fail their task, Saito is impressed nonetheless and hires them anyway. Well, first of all, I have no recollection of something like this happening. Not even remotely. I'm assuming that the conversation in the helicopter was meant to explain all of this but I don't think it's done very well. Maybe I'm just dumb. Please explain this to me if you thought it made sense.

OK. So I've been pretty good and serious about the film. I HAVE TO talk about Cillian Murphy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Tom Hardy. 'Inception' has such a good looking cast, I would be wrong to not talk about how good looking they all are. I just want to say the first time I saw the trailer to 'Inception' I knew I had to watch it, not because the trailer was so awesome I had to watch it, but because Cillian Murphy is in it. Everyone should know by now that I carry a forever-burning torch for Cillian Murphy. It was lucky that 'Inception' was good too.



You know, I have to admit that I never really thought Joseph Gordon-Levitt to be all that babe until I saw 'Inception'. I thought he looked really cute in 'Ten Things I Hate About You', but Heath Ledger was more attractive to me. But bloody oath, JGL was gorgeous in this film! I think it might have been all that gravity-defying wall climbing. Muchos Masculine. Plus there's just something about him that says he doesn't take himself too seriously and is up for a bit of fun re: dancing scene in '500 Days of Summer'



As for Tom Hardy, um English Bad Boy much? That's what James Bond should be, really. There was something really hot about him eat nuts with Cobb. I find Eames easily the most irresistible out of all the 'Inception' characters.



SIGH.


I love this photo of Ken Watanabe and Cillian Murphy. It's so cute! Plus, can you believe Watanabe is like 50??? INSANE. He looks bloody young!

No comments:

Post a Comment