Monday, March 4, 2013

Grow Up


































I'm a bit of a late bloomer. I'm always the last one to reach certain milestones like get a full-time job and my driver's license. At the ripe age of 23, I am pleased to say I will be moving out of my safe cocoon next month to venture the world of adulthood. Hello responsibility and independence – we're gonna be great friends!

It was a bit sad telling my parents I was going to move out of home. Since we have no extended family in Australia, my parents (or actually, my mum) cling on to us, not wanting to let go. It was even harder telling them I was going to move in with my partner. My parents are rather traditional. Mum wretchedly stressed I wasn't married and no one in our family ever slept in the same bed with their partners outside of wedlock. Dad just accepted it was something I needed to do. Either way, they're just going to have to accept it.

I'll be moving in with Liam's housemates as well. I think it's a good idea to move in with people I know well-ish, but not too well that it could ruin friendships. I'm also just really excited about living with Liam. We've been talking about getting a place together but neither of us are financially well off enough to even rent a place for just us two. This is a nice compromise. We've found a local bar that we really like called Long Play (they do excellent Bloody Marys). I hope Long Play becomes our Maclaren's. I guess you can call this "taking our relationship to the next level". It's very exciting and a little bit scary, but in a good way. Most of all, I'm looking forward to waking up with him next to me every morning. I know: SAAA CORNY.



How was your moving-out-of-home experience?


2 comments:

  1. Woohoo!!! Congrats on the move! My parents are very traditional as well and I lived at home until I was about....26-27. And it wasn't even a "hey mum and dad, I'm going to move out" it was more a transition where I stayed there for a few months, moved back home a bit and then moved over again etc. Now I'm just staying at his house for good. :) The good thing is, it's his parents house and they're overseas most of the year so no rent! :P

    It's a lot more flexible and fun living out but comes with it responsibility like cooking and cleaning. But it's all good fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how lucky! Yeah I need a bit of independence at the moment. It will also be much closer to work, so the commute will be cut down, which will be great :)

      Delete